Rotary's areas of service and focus include Peace and conflict prevention/resolution, Disease prevention and treatment, Water and sanitation, Maternal and child health, Basic education and literacy, Economic and community development and the Environment.
The hard-working women in northern Ghana have gathered as a collective, supporting at least four of these areas of service, and meet each year to review their work and that they have been treated fairly.
Fair treatment includes:
- Payment of a premium price above market price
- Negotiation of price in relationship as a group
- A respectful and dignified relationship between the company and the women
- Support for community, family, youth, education and other priorities as identified by the women’s groups
- Plus, other priorities and issues as identified by the women’s group
While their work builds economic and community development, the money made supports education through programs designed to purchase school uniforms, supplies, sports equipment and ensures tuition for girls in high school and post-secondary programs.
Effective stewards of the environment, the women take great care to ensure that nothing is wasted when making product, which includes the use of husks for cooking fuel. Tree regeneration and conservation are also a priority and a part of their sustainable development goals.